Markets Gain Again
WEEKLY UPDATE – FEBRUARY 4, 2019
“You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.”
– Oprah Winfrey
Notes: All index returns (except S&P 500) exclude reinvested dividends, and the 5-year and 10-year returns are annualized. The total returns for the S&P 500 assume reinvestment of dividends on the last day of the month. This may account for differences between the index returns published on Morningstar.com and the index returns published elsewhere. International performance is represented by the MSCI EAFE Index. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Indices are unmanaged and cannot be invested into directly.
The Best, Old-School Popcorn
- 3 Tbsp. peanut oil (try coconut oil for a different taste or avocado oil for no taste)
- 3 oz. best-quality popcorn kernels, approximately ½ cup
- ½ tsp. fine popcorn salt
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Put the oil, popcorn, and salt in a large, 6-quart, metal mixing bowl – you’ll be making the popcorn in this bowl! If you’re using coconut oil, melt it first, then combine the other ingredients. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil and poke several slits in the top of the foil to release steam.
- On the stovetop, place the bowl over medium heat; using a pair of tongs to hold onto the bowl, shake constantly until you hear popping. Keep shaking the popcorn until it finishes popping (about 3 minutes).
- Once you hear just a few kernels popping (you don’t want to burn it), remove the bowl from the heat, and carefully remove the foil because it will release very hot steam.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on the stove or in a bowl in the microwave. Slowly drizzle the butter over the popcorn as you spin the bowl. Add more salt, to taste, if needed, and serve right away.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
Keep Your Right Foot Firm
|If you’re having trouble hitting powerful drives, you might need to work on keeping your body behind the ball through impact. One common problem that afflicts amateur golfers is raising the right foot before impact and shifting too much weight to the left, thus losing power.
Volunteering is a Feel-Good Activity
|Simply put, helping others makes us feel good. Even better, volunteering to help others, for your own happiness and without expectation of anything in return, holds many benefits. Here are just a few:
An attitude of gratitude. When you help someone who may not be as fortunate as you, it puts life into perspective and may just reveal how many blessings you actually have.
Compassion and connection. When you can serve with kindness and compassion, it connects you with the oneness of humanity and affords a sense of belonging.
You’re present. Being present – being fully in the moment – yields a great sense of wellbeing.
Sympathetic joy. There is joy in making someone else happy. And it makes you happy, too!
Tip adapted from The Chopra Center
Breathe Easy and Feel Better – with House Plants
|Houseplants accent your home, decorating with beautiful pops of color and texture, but they can also make us feel better. One reason plants are a healthy addition to your home is that they clean the air. Greenery around the house removes over 85% of pollutants from the air within a 24-hour period.
If you want really low-maintenance plants, you can try succulents and cacti. They are easy to replant, and it’s fun to combine different varieties to make one-pot gardenscapes. They can also go longer without watering.
Tip adapted from www.nbcnews.com
Edward Storer & Associates’ The Tax Advisory Group, LLC and Financial Gravity Tax, Inc. offers tax planning and preparation services. The Tax Advisory Group, LLC and Financial Gravity Tax, Inc. are separate and unrelated companies. Tax services offered are to help business owner and individuals create sound tax planning strategies that are custom suited to their needs and objectives.
Edward Storer & Associates’ Investments Made Easy, LLC, is an independent investment firm. Investments Made Easy, LLC. and Financial Gravity Wealth, Inc. are separate and unrelated companies. All investment advisory services are offered through Financial Gravity Wealth, Inc. Financial Gravity Wealth, Inc. is a Registered Investment Adviser. Information presented is for educational purposes only and does not intend to make an offer or solicitation for the sale or purchase of any specific securities product, service, or investment strategy. Investments involve risk and unless otherwise stated, are not guaranteed. Be sure to first consult with a qualified financial adviser, tax professional, or attorney before implementing any strategy or recommendation discussed herein.
Edward Storer & Associates’ Insurance Made Easy LLC is an independent insurance firm. Insurance services offered are to help business owners and individuals create insurance strategies using a variety of insurance products custom suited to their needs and objectives.
Edward Storer & Associates in association with our attorney groups can help assist with various legal matters – all under one roof. Edward Storer & Associates themselves are not attorneys.